Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Garden and I - The Agave April 2009



Yesterday I was talking to a friend who goes round their garden talking to their roses “Good morning Constance,,,, good morning Agatha...” And so we develop an intimate relationship with our garden. I understand her love of these delicate creatures, but at the moment I am having this same kind of relationship with an elephant of a plant and will try and show the extent of growth during the next month as I know it is going to be spectacular. The flowering of an agave in my garden. In fact the Agave Americana often known as the Century Flower. So good morning Centuriana!

That tells you much about this plant which is related to the lily and amaryllis family and not a cactus which many people assume. It will flower once and die, spending years and years building up it energy and drawing from the soil's nutrients and also a measure of what the climate has been like.

This plant was brought from Mexico to Spain during the 16th century. Three years ago I included it in an early attempt at an oil painting of the scene to the south west of our vista.

Then yesterday noticed the eruption taking place from the centre of this one. During the day we could see a change so I have decided to try to capture the birthing and death of this magnificent plant. My partner says the dogs sit

there watching it or maybe listening to it.


There is a very good Wikipedia article for more information on this family of plants.


As it throws up this flower,and they can go up 30 or 40 feet , the Americana is broadly six feet in each dimension. This is the photo from this morning the 22nd of April.



will update probably every second or third day for a while. Be great to know if anyone is following us on this..... so please feel free to leave a comment

No comments: