Friday, May 15, 2009

Advent of RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2009


Can you believe it? We are ahead of the game on this blog. It is that major gardening event in UK right now and this is a quote from the Daily Telegraph's Bluffers Guide to CFS 2009.

"Chelsea looks backwards with quotes from Keats and Tennyson on the meaning of life, potent medicinal herbs used by beekeeping monks, an alchemist's den in the Fens and Queen Elizabeth 1's perfume, emphasising the continuing power of plants".


Other major events being pointed up are

.....the real interest in growing vegetables
.....vertical growing togive up more space and protection to the above
.....the continuing love of fine grasses and a new amour - the hornbeam espaliered and, my word, aquilegias (See left, my first one in my Spanish garden)

The rumour is that there isnt as much money around in this event this year. Well that is going to be a shock to the system as the British gardening industry is worth about $6 billion - that s a lot of cabbage....The clever blighters though will be showing the gardening public the money saving gardening tips, tools and water saving plants I am going to guess...

Reading up on 2008, I had a shock to find that Monty Don had a stroke while doing the 80 Gardens round the World programme. How had that passed me by? Well guess you wont be reading my blog Monty but sending you postive thoughts for a full recovery.

Also got a jolt as there is going to be a Swedish garden for the Daily Telegraph designed by Ulf Nordfjell. I better get my Swedish article up now!


www.rhs.org.uk/chelsea/tickets.asp

No comments: